Wednesday, December 2, 2009

National Gandhi Museum and Indira Gandhi

My first tourist destination in New Delhi was the National Gandhi Museum. I enjoyed the visit so much, that I returned for a brief visit on my last day in Delhi. I recorded the video below to share some final thoughts on my trip to India.

I also need to make a few corrections from the video. On my first day in Delhi, I also visited the Indira Gandhi Memorial Museum. Before entering the museum, my driver told me that it was a memorial to Gandhi's daughter. I believed him, but I did not understand why none of the exhibitions focused on her relationship with Gandhi. There was only one picture of Indira and Gandhi, so I kinda trusted that the driver was right. Well, she was not his daughter. Indira was, however, the first and only woman Prime Minister in India. Indira served as Prime Minister for three consecutive terms, and was assassinated during her fourth term in 1984. I really enjoyed learning about Indira. It turns out her real father, Jawaharlal Nehru was the first Prime Minister of India. I also learned that she was a tough and incredibly intelligent woman. Indira was able to command respect from strong, male dominated political system and was a very effective political leader. Her policies were innovative and focused on improving agriculture in India in order to reduce famine. I had never heard of Indira Gandhi Nehru, but I am so pleased to have learned about yet another fascinating woman leader. It was very empowering witnessing her life through photos, old personal files and books, news headlines and the many awards she received throughout her life. If you ever have a chance to look her up, do so. Her story is inspirational.

Indira's museum also included a memorial to her son, Rajiv Gandhi. Rajiv was selected to take his mothers place after her death, and become the 7th Prime Minister of India. He was later killed during a bomb attack by a separatist organization. I mention both Indira and Rajiv in my video, but was not aware at the time that there was no relation to Mahatma Gandhi. The picture included in this entry is of Indira and Gandhi sometime in the 1930s.

I hope you enjoy the clips. I also mention a radio address by Martin Luther King, Jr. in the video and I have added an audio link to that address. In addition to my video, I have included a brief video of the Indira Gandhi Memorial Museum that I found online. Lots of love to you.

Martin Luther Kind, Jr. Radio Address after Mahatma Gandhi's death

Indira Gandhi Memorial Museum



1 comment:

  1. My name is Elias and I'm a Graduate Student at North Carolina State University that would like to use that radio recording in a project of mine. Do you know anything about the copyright info of the mlk audio clip? If so could you email me at emcwhiz7@gmail.com? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete