Thursday, October 15, 2009

Cambodia baby!


We made it to Phnom Pehn, or as it's known to Khmers, Psar Toul Tompoung. The Khmer people are the predominant ethnic group in Cambodia. We've only seen the market and our hotel thus far, but we decided to make a cyber stop before dinner. We have been practicing the Khmer language with help from taxi drivers and having fun trying to sound like the locals. Carla and I keep wanting to speak Thai by default, but of course, English is easier. An interesting, but not surprising fact, dollars are used here just as much as the local currency, the Cambodian Riel.

After Phenom Pehn, we will travel to the beach and then visit Angkor Wat in Siem Reap. I will also try to convince Carla that we take a trip to an orphange and engage in some positive tourism. Carla has been giddy since we booked our flight, but it really didn't hit me until we landed. From what we have seen so far, it is a beautiful country. Very warm, and I don't just mean the weather. We are very excited about Cambodia and traveling together. The last time Carla and I traveled together was in 1999 to Miami. This trip has been long overdue. I am quite happy and grateful that we are enjoying each other's company so much and getting along really well. I guess it is a testiment to our friendship (and possibly our tolerence level. I kid.)

More Cambodia stories to come...stay tuned. Hugs from half way around the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment